Making Monsters at the Joseph G. Luther Elementary School
On April 15th, Mike visited the Joseph G. Luther Elementary School and engaged 220 students in a raucous Monster Creation session. The kids learned how to start a story, create characters, and the finer points of world building by brainstorming, using teamwork, and presenting their creations to the rest of the class. Pictured is Mike's good friend, Judy Carey, with her third grade daughter, Ava as well a photo in the local Swansea paper.
Reading Under the Stars
On April 13th, Mike joined three of his fellow ARIA Children's Authors at the Reading Under the Stars event at the Citizen's Memorial Elementary School in Woonsocket. It was a fantastic event! Here's a picture of him with one of his newest fans and another from the Valley Breeze. Mike sold 18 copies of his Overlords books and was given an awesome thank you card signed by all the 5th graders as well as a dragon warrior that several students made out of recycled products, also pictured below. Thank you so much!
Warwick Public Library Author Meet & Greet
On April 9th, Mike joined over 40 ARIA friends at the Warwick Public Library's Author Meet and Greet. The very successful event drew 250 patrons throughout the day, with book loving fans able to talk with and buy books from their favorite local authors. Mike hammed it up with good friend and horror writer, Alex Kimmel (pictured below). The library's event coordinator, Wil Gregerson, was extremely pleased with the event, the author's presentations, and the overall camaraderie of all the attendees. We'll definitely be part of this event next year!
Professional Development Day at the Community College of Rhode Island
On April 8th, Mike was part of a panel discussion at the Community College of Rhode Island's Professional Development Day to talk about Writing and Publishing Books in Rhode Island. Mike joined three of his fellow Association of Rhode Island Author members, Steve Porter, Vikki Corliss, and Mark Perry (pictured below) to talk about their forays into the writing world, their adventures in publishing, and fielded questions from class participants.
Monster Creation Session at Citizen's Memorial Elementary School
Wow, what a fantastic time Mike had with the students at the Citizens Memorial Elementary School! The children learned the finer points of starting a story, creating meaningful characters and settings, and engged in team building exercises that included making monters! As the pictures show, the Monster Creation session went very well and was fun for all. On April 13th, Mike will again join his ARIA friends at the school's Reading Under the Stars event and will be signing copies of his Overlords books. Click here for more pictures of the fun-filled event.
Spring has barely arrived, but Mike's calendar is filling up fast!
1. On April 5th, Mike will be a geust on WNRI 1380 AM Wayne G. Barber's radio show, "The Author's Hour" to talk about his Overlords Fantasy Series, writing, workshops, presentations, and much more. Tune in to 1380 AM (RI) at 9:30 AM to listen.
2. On April 8th, he will take part in the Community College of Rhode Island's Professional Development Day. Mike will join four fellow Association of Rhode Island Author members on a panel to discuss Writing and Publishing Books in Rhode Island.
3. On April 9th, he will be joining over 40 other ARIA friends at the Warwick Public Library's Author Meet and Greet.
4. On April 13th, he will be joining several ARIA Children's Authors at the Reading Under the Stars event at the Citizen's Memorial Elementary School in Woonsocket.
5. On April 15th, he will be running a Monster Creation Session at the Joseph G. Luther Elementary School in Swansea, MA.
6. On April 21st, he will be presenting "The Concepts of Writing and Publishing" at the Boyden Library in Foxboro, MA.
7. On June 11th, he will be attending another Author Meet in Greet in his hometown of Tiverton, RI at the Tiverton Public Library as part of their one-year anniversay. Wow!
Booklover's Author Meet and Greet
This past Saturday, February 13th, Mike joined 40 other local authors at the Cumberland Public Library's Book Lover's Author Meet and Greet. Aaron Coutu of the library's staff did a fantastic job coordinating this well attended event. As you can see, fellow ARIA and Necon author buddy, Errick Danger Nunally and I had a more than a little fun!
Calling All School Teachers and Librarians!
We want to help your students and patrons get the creative juices flowing! The Overlords are in the process of booking school visits, library presentations, workshops, and book fairs via our self-publishing consultancy, Self Publishing Insight. We are able to offer creative writing workshops for pre-teens and teens (adults are welcome as well!) at your local school or library. If you are interested in having an enthusiastic, published author come to your school or library for a dynamic presentation, please let us know! Feedback from your peers has been very positive and you can find more information under the Overlord Enterprises link. Please visit our Self Publishing Insight Facebook Page to see pictures of past events and to get the most up to date information.
Located outside of our local area? Look for our virtual, interactive presentation options, Skype and Author, and much more ... coming soon!
Bookings happen all year on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you are a school or library please ask us about profit sharing from book sales! To book author J. Michael Squatrito for your event please send an email to Mike (at) The-Overlords (dot) com.